Dogs and Life

“Like a boss”…

That’s one of those new expressions that has a vague meaning, but it’s sort of catchy for a situation which happened today. At least that’s what I thought when I was handling a big mission with a certain amount of moxie, confidence, bravado.

I was asked to help with the collection of several adult German Shepherds from a home in a town about an hour’s drive away. I cannot say anything very specific in this Blog at this time.

At first, I thought I was going to load six large dogs into more than one vehicle, and at first, I didn’t think MY vehicle would be involved, nor any of my airline kennels, collars, etc.. The impression I got was that I would be picked up at my home and get a ride in a cruiser, that I was only wanted for my *cough* expertise (and emergency boarding).

As the day wore on and I was in consultation with police officers in two towns, it was apparent that they needed my ideas, my brawn, my kennels and my truck. Hmmph!

The confiscation of the dogs went well despite my fears, but it was only because a family member was on site to load them. One of the policemen had already loaded the two female shepherds in his suburban, and I was told that they’d “LET” me take the four large adult unneutered males!

All the way home, I wondered how to handle these dogs when I got home. How much risk was there of being bitten? Would they take kindly to a stranger reaching in to grab their collars? Did they all HAVE a collar on? I thought of asking Gary if I could drive into his shop before opening any kennels, so that any dog would be contained if it got away on me. I thought of transferring each airline kennel, dog and all, into an available run.

In the end, I parked the truck where I usually do, reached in and got each dog by the collar and hooked a leash on, and led each to their own run. That is where the fairy tale ends!

The sons-0f-bitches have been barking at any leaf that blows or cat which moves. They bark at us if they see us. If we try to correct them with our voice, they lunge at their gates with bared teeth. I have fed them their own food, soup bones, and solidly frozen ground beef meatballs. These things kept them occupied for about a minute each time. At least they will eat!

I can keep the bastards fed and watered, not sure I’ll be able to go in with them to clean up. I will be phoning the police detachments to have them realize that they have to make other arrangements for the dogs as soon as possible. My husband is seething and I realize that I have made a huge mistake. Perhaps these dogs will settle down eventually when it gets too dark to see the cats or anything else.

Please wish me luck. I have to remember the time that a German Shepherd was dumped on me (courtesy of the RCMP receptionist’s stupid advice to someone who had found the dog!); “Rudy” seemed combative at first, and within 3 days I was completely in love with him.

I’ve been on my feet almost all day. After sleeping in until 8 am., I fed the chickens, cleaned and swept in the indoor kennels and fed, watered and cleaned up after the whole boarding population. Then I groomed these two little darlings:





I enjoyed every minute of grooming these girls, but it just happened that I got interrupted many times. This is nobody’s fault. I was on a time crunch because of my own scheduling, but I still did my very best. I’m afraid my human customer was disappointed with the job I did on Zoey, and I had been so pleased at the success I’d had in getting rid of heavy undercoat, knots and mats. I left the little pomeranian cross rather moth-eaten in appearance, I know, and I don’t know if other groomers had not been as thorough or … what? They have better techniques, detangling shampoos or magic wands?

And THIS is rare: I had “walk-in” boarders. Brita and Baxter belong to folks from Prince George who had had their housesitter cancel at the last minute. They were going through to Alberta for a wedding with the two dogs and simply decided to stop and ask me if I “want a couple more guests for the weekend…”. I readily agreed, and I think I have new friends now. Will try to get back to you tomorrow to share the dogs’ pictures. The dogs AND the people seem very kind, gentle and special.

I managed to get a dinner together for Gary and I by about 6:15, which is just a tad later than our usual evening meal time. I’m not sure that it was outstanding, but it sure tasted good to me, as all I’d had all day was a peanut butter sandwich at 1:30, after forgetting to eat breakfast.

I had a short, short visit with my beloveds Nancy and Smidge before Zoey and Leila were picked up. Then Mark came with his dogs Squeaker and Kelef. It was after that that I left on my urgent errand with the RCMP officers.







After supper, I clipped and bathed little Lucky. He is a one year old Jack Russell terrier X Shih Tzu cross. He is right off the cuteness chart, but Lucky was difficult to groom because he was so wiggly. We got through it without me getting cross and without injury to either of us (hyper puppies + sharp scissors can make for risky business).



I just have nothing left. I’ve dried my tears and am going to have a little shot of Bailey’s on ice… that seems like a good idea.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s